Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Tuesday, July 8: Snorkeling in 40-something degree water

We docked at the Bay of Pillars and my first activity after breakfast was a shore walk. It started with a short skiff ride.




After studying more on geology since our last trip, I was very interested in the odd mix of rocks- some obviously river stones, worn smooth by centuries of water, some gravel, and random larger stones that showed less erosion.  I learned that Alaska is the result of many bits of land colliding with the North American plate over the ages; one mass. Wrangellia, started near the Equator and drifted for about 120 million years first.  This explains the variety of stones; many were formed elsewhere under different conditions, some are local, and some were random rubble left behind as the glaciers receded.





Below is an interesting variety of lichen that I never saw elsewhere.



Right after lunch I was scheduled for snorkeling.  I'd hesitated on this; had done it on the last trip and I mostly remembered being cold and wet.  Still, for $35, how could I turn it down?  Another twice-in-a-lifetime chance, I guess.  I was very glad I decided to take it.

Step 1:  the first layer.  This is about 6 mm thick (so I'm not that fat, OK? ;-) ).  Having no problem making a spectacle of myself, I padded out into the lounge so Ron could help me fasten the velcro shoulder strips over my swimsuit.   



Step 2:  add the second layer, which is about the same length as a pair of shorts and provides more protection to vital organs.  Additional items include the boots, gloves and helmet, as well as the fins and goggles you get before jumping in.


I was a lot more comfortable on this trip; my guess is that I had a tighter-fitting suit so the layer of water between my body and the suit was thin enough that it could get heated. I had also asked this time about what we could and could not do without endangering the wildlife.  Last time I'd been afraid to ruffle through the kelp and look for critters; it turned out that that was OK.   
We were in the water for a little over an hour.   I wish I could post pictures of everything I saw, but when I'd considered buying a waterproof camera, the reviews of the moderately-priced ones seemed to be full of complaints that they quit working when submerged only a few feet.  Here's a partial list:


  • A tiny white sea star (they no longer call them starfish since they're not really a fish)
  • Two white anemones
  • Two large blue sea stars (each about 10 inches across)
  • One purple sea star
  • One sea star that looked white with sparkling, iridescent patches.  Darn, I wish I'd had a camera!
  • Some blue ribbon worms, the width of a tiny rubber band
  • A few jellyfish- not a threat with all my layers of neoprene
  • A hooded nudibranch.  I would not have known this but that evening they captured a very large one in a giant pickle jar and displayed it in the lounge before releasing it.  One of the naturalists on the staff was very excited about it.  I love their enthusiasm!
I thought I was staying with the group but at one point the skiff pilot came over and tactfully asked me to get back with the group because I was too far ahead.  I love the feeling of fins- a little motion and you're jet-propelled great distances.  Wanting to enhance my chances of surviving the expedition, I backtracked a little and rejoined the others.  

When the skiff pulled near us, I was the first back on, but everyone else soon clambered in.  We shared hot cocoa on the way back.  It was WORK pulling all that gear off so I could head back to our room!  The hot shower sure felt good.  So did the 2 cups of hot tea I had after that.

Alaskan King Crab legs were on the menu for dinner.  Yum.  Ron doesn't like them and I'd never pay restaurant prices, so I thoroughly enjoyed these.

Although this was not the menu for that day, I'm posting an example of what we were served.  (And yes, the date is wrong- I suspect they recycle their menus.)  I love the UnCruise line's attitudes on food.  Their cruises are not a 24/7 eating and drinking bacchanalia.  What they do serve is from fresh ingredients, well-prepared, without too many fussy foodie touches.  There are always vegetarian options and if nothing on the menu appeals to you, they'll find something in the kitchen that does.



1 comment: