Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Wednesday, September 19- A Soggy Arrival


The flight to Edinburgh was pleasant- good dinner, greasy breakfast- but I got only a couple of hours of sleep, which is usual for me on transatlantics.  We landed at 7:30 AM and I couldn’t get into my Airbnb apartment till 3 PM.  I took the bus into Waverly Station, dropped off my bags at an Airbnb office nearby and headed for the National Museum.  I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the time passed.  At about 2:30 I trekked back to the office, picked up my bags and began the hike to my apartment.  It started to rain and I was walking against the wind, but I powered on (I did have a rain jacket) because I was too cheap to get a taxi and exercise is always good.  


Beautiful even in the rain.



I finally reached it- a third-floor walkup, which I knew- and couldn’t get the lock box with the key to open even with the combination they supplied.  I tried to call the office and my phone wouldn’t work locally.  I found a cafĂ© run by a lovely Frenchwoman who made me a glass of coffee (very European) and loaned me her phone to call the office.  They sent over a nice young man who, instead of trying to yank it open at the top, lifted the front “door” off the box revealing the key.  OK, I felt like an idiot.  He was very nice.  Having already bought provisions on my walk, I gratefully settled in for the evening.  The first day is always the hardest. 


View from the courtyard of my apartment.
A reminder (posted near my apartment) of the impact of Airbnb on the residents.

No comments:

Post a Comment