Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Monday, April 17- Snorkeling around Granito de Oro



As usual, announcements were made the night before about available excursions and, as usual, I was in heaven.  I woke up at 6 AM for a 7 AM birdwalk, where we saw Capuchin monkeys, emerald hummingbirds, a barred antshrike and black vultures, in addition to a black iguana.  

A termite nest.  The guide ate a few.  Some of my fellow passengers did, too, and said they tasted minty.  I took their word for it.




 Granito de Oro used to be a prison.  It was opened in early 1900s, closed only in 2004 and  mostly held political prisoners in Noriega’s regime.  (The ship passed by one of Noriega's former houses, which was in ruins.) They were allowed to roam the island and some 200 were unaccounted for when it closed.  Many believe it's haunted and some Panamanians won't visit there.  One fence had a sign noting that Tito the crocodile might be in the area, but we couldn't find him.   

I took a kayak out before lunch, then went out snorkeling after lunch around Granito de Oro.   I don't have an underwater camera, but here are a few pictures taken by the video crew who accompanied us.

Getting ready.




Fish, glorious fish.

Some people are just show-offs. 

Among others, I saw a Moorish idol, hawkfish, clownfish, guinea pufferfish.   A storm blew up as we were almost done.  It missed us but created a lot of wind and excitement. I took a nap in my room, then went on to happy hour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment