Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Saturday, April 15- Panama Canal Transit

I woke up at a reasonable hour and when I saw the breakfast buffet (included in the room rate), I immediately regretted sleeping so late that I missed it the day before!  Oh, well, I guess I needed a rest.

Before boarding the ship for our transit through the Panama Canal,  we were taken to the Visitor's Center, which showcased the most recent additions to the Canal, meant to take on additional traffic and bigger ships.



Visitors' Center
A mega-ship being pulled into the Canal by tugboats.








We began our transit around 8 PM.  I'd thought that this transit would be a "nice-to-have" experience and found later that this was a Bucket List item for many people.  It was fascinating.

Locks closing behind us.




Our compartment filling with water.
Wind turbine blades being transported by another ship.



When I first found that the trip started with a transit through the Panama Canal, I knew I had to deposit some of Ron's ashes there.  I later discovered that a childhood friend of Ron’s had scattered some of the ashes of another of their friends in the Panama Canal a few years ago.

I waited till we were in the first lock, went off to a quiet spot on one side of the ship, said a few prayers and dropped the packet overboard, watching it disappear.  

We finally reached the Atlantic side at 1 AM.  I have to confess I'd gone to bed way before then.  I needed my rest for all the adventures ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment