Monday, September 24, 2018

Monday, September 24: Edinburgh to Paris

I’d set the alarm for 6 AM since I had a morning flight to Paris.  I didn’t sleep well; already I was worrying about getting back from Paris in time on Wednesday so that I could pack up and make my flight home Thursday.  (Yes, I DO worry too much.) 

I decided to get an Uber car to the airport; my driver was a cheerful Fijian who had spent 12 years in the British Army.  I arrived in plenty of time and was held up at the security checkpoint only because I’d carefully packed my liquids in the requisite baggie- and then forgot to take them out of my computer bag. They were very nice about it.


My Air France flight left a bit late; it was one of those annoying flights where “boarding” meant you were herded into a glass tube out on the edge of the tarmac and had to stand there for 20 minutes before actually getting on the plane.  My bargain (under $200 round trip) airfare entitled me to a seat in the last row, by the lavatory.  


 Then I got to CDG. Ugh. Almost as bad as LHR. Miles of walking. VERY slow Immigration queue. (Couldn't even be bothered to ink the passport stamp sufficiently to make a clear impression.) The RER B line out of CDG had numerous problems in the system and we kept stopping. FINALLY I exited at Notre Dame- 3 hours after landing! I was going to head for the Metro and go straight to my hotel but I just couldn't. It was a beautiful day and I just wanted to walk around and giggle because I couldn't believe I was in Paris.

Unflattering angle,  I really need to get a selfie stick.

 I didn't go into Notre Dame- I'm turning into a bit of an eccentric traveler and if a place has crowds or long lines or costs a lot of money and I've been there before, I skip it- I just like walking. I picked up a couple of large, rich cookies at a Tunisian bakery - couldn't choose just one! I don't know how the Tunisians make their cookies so rich but they probably use pure, natural ingredients- like lard. I don't want to know!
I left some of Ron's ashes in the Seine- off the Quai aux Fleurs. I liked that place name. I was a bit concerned about getting them through in my carry-on and then realized that if they got confiscated at EDI, it would be something that would make Ron laugh- and what are they gonna do with them- incinerate them? I'm glad they're in the Seine instead. I didn't sleep well last night- one of those times Ron would have helped me to calm down, but worried about getting back to EDI on schedule Wednesday so I can get back into the apartment, pack up and leave Thursday. Yes, almost 24 hours later. I went through a litany of stuff: it's Air France, not RyanAir, airlines have to pay pretty hefty compensation to passengers when they delay or cancel flights in the EU, weather is clear, I have travel insurance that would cover additional costs...well, I DID get to sleep. It's very nice to be in a place with a powerful hot shower, adequate lighting and electrical outlets- and wastebaskets!!

Oh, and I needed something to read.


No comments:

Post a Comment