Monday, September 24, 2018

Tuesday, September 25- A Random Walk in Paris

Today I went to a weird exhibit that a US-based friend on FB had posted about months ago- I had thought it was an exhibit of the works of Gustav Klimt but it was something different from just paintings- it was at the Atelier des Lumieres, a former factory, and the idea was to recreate the atmosphere of Vienna at the time using music and projected light graphics.  I got there when an earlier presentation was being shown and nearly left- it was pretty dull- but then the Klimt show started.  Wow.  (I say that a lot here.)  The music included a piece from Beethoven's 9th and a song by Mahler and the graphics were projected on every surface- including the floor and pillars. sometimes making the place look like a palace.  


The space begins to be "outlined".



Note how even the pillars are "decorated".





It did include lots of Klimt's works.  Klimt liked women.  I remember seeing one of his paintings in the MOMA when I was pregnant- and it was of a pregnant woman.  It warmed my heart.

From there I grabbed a sandwich and headed to the Musee du Parfum, housed near the Fragonard store.  I decided to take he tour in French and understood most of it- I even asked a few questions.  Didn't buy any perfume- I know myself. I just wouldn't use it.  I did buy some pretty bars of glycerine soap for Lydia and Angela.





I realized later that I’d enjoyed this whirlwind trip through Paris more than my last trip with Ron.  I missed Ron, of course, but we’d been through the Louvre and the Musee d’Orsay and both had been chaotic- long lines to get in and then jammed with tourists who seemed more interested in taking pictures of the works (and then one of the information panel next to each one) than experiencing the works.  I’m leaning more and more towards avoiding the big attractions, especially if they’re expensive, have long lines or if I’ve been there before.  Instead, I find more obscure attractions that are sometimes equally interesting and spend a lot of time just walking and soaking up the atmosphere.  I’m still working out what travel with Ron looks like and am grateful that I still enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment