Monday, September 24, 2018

Sunday, September 23: Arthur's Seat and the Surgeons Museum


Yesterday when I was in Dundee I saw a brochure for the Surgeons Museum in Edinburgh- I’d seen a piece on it in "Mysteries at the Museum" and had forgotten about it.  First I climbed Arthur's Seat again- every time is different.  This time I found a different path down and ended up way on the other side of the hill at the bottom, with quite a long walk to my starting point but it was a nicely-paved footpath and a beautiful day, so what did I care?


Another view of the ruins of St. Andrew's Chapel (likely built in the 14th Century).
Ron on the site of the chapel, 2001.  I left a few of his ashes in the spot.


Bridges over the Firth of Forth way off in the distance. 



From there I headed over to the museum.  That was fantastic- on 3 floors, with tons of pathological specimens.  No photos allowed, unfortunately.  Yes, I DO have weird interests.  Just among the bone specimens, I saw bones affected by ankylosis, ricketts, gout, syphilis, arthritis and osteosarcoma as well as all types of trauma.  They had specimens from WW 1 and the Battle of Waterloo.  What really struck me was how much some of those people must have suffered before they died- mastoiditis, dental abscesses that spread to the brain, fractures that were not treated and healed at very odd angles.  The museum included the skeleton of one poor woman, who had lost 5 pregnancies due to conditions from her Vitamin D deficiency; her bones were weak-looking and she was missing several teeth.  The last child survived after a C-section delivery, one of the earliest in Scotland, but the mother died of blood loss.  I was again grateful for my phone; I used it to look up medical terms!



I’d picked up the London Times that morning- I LOVE their Sunday edition.  I was finally able to settle in and enjoy it with my dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment