Monday, March 25, 2019

Tuesday, March 19- Isla Monserrat


They had told us on the first day that the itinerary was subject to “wind, weather, whales and whim”, and this time the conditions were right to visit Isola Monserrat, which wasn’t usually on the itinerary.   Early-morning treats included a pod of dolphins and a school of grebes. 

My complimentary massage was scheduled with Niko at 9 AM.  I’d had massages but never with masseur, just a masseuse.  Well, vacations are opportunities to try new things.  Niko was also the most over-qualified massage practitioner I’d ever had; he’d studied Physics in France.  Despite the strenuous activities the day before. I was surprisingly not aching anywhere (thank you, Planet Fitness).  The massage was very relaxing; the scalp massages made me wonder if they might have helped when I got migraines in my 30s.  I’d planned to use the fitness machines before my 11:15 snorkeling trip but decided not to work my mellowed-out muscles so soon. 

My main concern about the snorkeling trip I’d chosen was the cold water and, even with a wet suit, I was COLD.  It goes with the territory when you have low body fat.  I tried to channel my inner Jacques Cousteau- he’d been lean, had undoubtedly endured colder waters for longer intervals than this, and had died- what- in his 80s?- probably with his swim fins on.

It was well worth it.  I saw multiple beautiful fish including a balloon puffer fish, Panamic sergeant major, Cortez rainbow wrasse, king angelfish, Cortez angelfish, beaubrummel and (I think) goldenjack, many variety of coral and two types of sea stars (possibly tan sea star and channeled sea star).  I learned to slow down and linger over an area, looking closely for smaller critters and those well-camouflaged.  We were in the water 45 minutes and arrived back just in time for lunch.   That sounded good but I realized that a shower or a dip in the hot tub would have helped take off the chill.  I had hot coffee with dinner, followed it up with herbal tea in the lounge, then sat outside and baked in the sun for awhile.  Sarah took these pictures with her underwater camera but I saw the same species; you can see why I squeezed into a wet suit and braved the cold water.



After lunch I’d planned to work out but realized my iPod Shuffle was dead, so I plugged it in to recharge.  Good timing- the crew sighted a pod of dolphins, closer to the boat than any we’d seen previously, as well as a juvenile sea lion.  Then, the bonus- a blue-footed booby flying overhead.  I’d always joked that I wanted to see one before I left this earth.  I think I still want to go to the Galapagos next year!   With my iPod recharged, I worked up a good sweat listening to classic rock music and using the exercise equipment on deck.  I laughed out loud when the playlist turned up Huey Lewis’ “Working for a Living”.  (“Damned if you do, damned if you don’t, supposed to get a raise next week you know damned well I won’t… takin’ what they’re givin; ‘cause I’m workin’ for a livin’”.)  I laughed out loud at the realization that the place I’d left at age 61 due to toxic politics was full of people in their cubicles tapping on computers, and followed it up with a punk rock version of “Laudate Dominum” by a group called “Helloween”.  After a much-needed shower and a change of clothes, I headed for the lounge for some water and then joined a stretch class.

Another unscheduled appearance- just as diner was about to start the crew spotted a whale far off in the distance.  We all scrambled out with cameras and binoculars.  I eventually saw them with my naked eye.  The crew was uncertain whether it was a blue whale or a fin whale.  As the daylight faded, the colors of the horizon faded from an amazing blend of blue to the horizon, purple in the middle and dark blue above to total darkness with the light of the full moon making the waters sparkle- truly magical.  Dinner started half an hour late.  I love the priorities of UnCruise!
The presentation after dinner was on whale sharks, which we were to meet on Friday.  I was tired enough to retire to my room and enjoy it as I prepared for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment