Monday, March 25, 2019

Saturday, March 16- San Juan del Cabo


I woke up at 5 AM- which meant I’d slept only 5 hours, but the adrenaline levels were high and I couldn’t get back to sleep.  I made a pot of coffee and then headed to the gym and had a good workout.  I was really able to appreciate the beauty of the hotel grounds in the daylight and had a happy walk on the beach after leaving my two bags in the room secured by the cruise line.  (I later went back to retrieve my sunscreen and a hat.  Not good to get sunburned before I even get on the ship.)

Early-morning view from the room.





At 4 PM we were put on a bus for the 3-hour drive to the port of La Paz.  The Pacific Ocean was just beyond the hotel but they told us that leaving from there would involve a bumpy 8-10 hour initial journey over high waves (“Pacific” being a misnomer here).  La Paz is a resort area for many Mexicans; I was surprised at the variety of ethnic restaurants as well as the American imports I hadn’t seen before this (Applebee’s and Subway).   The area was full of families out walking, buying ice cream and enjoying a pleasant Saturday night.

We boarded the ship and had dinner after a short series of introductions by the Captain and a few crew members.  Afterwards we had a presentation in the lounge by a crew member who told us about the history of the area- starting with slides showing how the action of tectonic plates formed the Baja Peninsula and the Sea of Cortes.  I was in heaven- typically UnCruise staff have advanced degrees in fields related to our travel but this was the first time one had included them in a presentation.  I was very happy to have a geology nut on board!

No comments:

Post a Comment