Monday, March 25, 2019

Thursday, March 21- Isla San Francisco


This is a place they can’t always go, but the wind and waves were right, so we anchored early in the morning.  Last night I had a hard time sleeping- the margarita I had after the hike did not play nicely with the wine I’d had at dinner. I should know better by now.

I met my group for the 9:30 AM hike and found that many had been imbibing generously the night before and were still not quite back to normal, so I was in good company.  This was a hike up to a ridgeline, with a steeper ascent and descent but easier footing than yesterday.  We got a beautiful view of the tombolo (land formed between two islands from a build-up of silt and erosion of the islands).  The square cuts in the tombolo were created by people who harvested the salt.  At the end of the hike Sarah showed us a “halophilic” (salt-loving) succulent and invited us to eat it.  It was very good- it would have been great in a salad.  When she mentioned that it would help replace electrolytes I had a few more pieces.


The hike was steep but the views at the top were worth it.  I was feeling my acrophobia a bit, especially with the wind.  A few people were photographed jumping, but a little acrophobia set in and I settled for a tamer pose.


Niko, my masseur, displays another of his talents.




As we got to the peak we rested, took lots of pictures, and then Sarah suggested that we all sit in silence for a few moments and take it all in.  It was a great idea.

After lunch I set out for the “beach party” the crew had set up on a nearby beach.  



I wore my wet suit and brought my snorkel gear along with everything else but the kitchen sink- camera, a layer of clothes for afterwards, hiking shoes and socks.  It wasn’t pleasant immersing myself in the cold water again but I stayed in for half an hour and it was worth it.  I made ANOTHER note to myself to get the brand of underwater camera carried by most of the crew; as usual, it was a real challenge to remember what I’d seen so I could look it up later.  Partial list:  a guineafowl puffer in the spotted phase (or else a female spotted boxfish), a few other puffers, many of the fish I’d seen on the earlier trip, a beautiful little purple fish which might have been an Acapulco Gregory,  Cortez rainbow wrasse including juveniles,  an almost completely white fish (possibly Pacific Creolefish), needlefish and a Gulf sun sea star.

By the time I’d warmed up they were starting a walk to explore the nearby tidal pool.  It was amazing how much was there when you looked closely and turned over a rock or two: a small octopus, a sea star, a sea cucumber (which I once ate at a Chinese coworker’s wedding banquet and didn’t like very much), a small shrimp, and numerous creatures that darted out of the way as soon as you approached.




No comments:

Post a Comment