Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Saturday, November 23, 2019- Leaving the Ship and Molokai

View of our course, which was updated every day.


All good things must come to an end.  We left the ship after breakfast and were transported to a hospitality suite at the Hotel Molokai.  There were shuttles into town and I took one, planning to get lunch there.


I walked through all the stalls at the open-air market and bought yet another pair of earrings, but the restaurants were all hamburger and pizza places and, of course, coffee shops.  I realized that this is Molokai.  If they pandered to tourists and added vegan restaurants and a Starbucks, it wouldn't be the real Molokai anymore.  I went back to the hotel and had a perfectly nice lunch there instead.

A group of us left for the airport at the same time.  There were many hugs and fond farewells at the gates; this was one of the nicest groups I've ever traveled with and that's saying a lot; UnCruise tends to attract smart, curious, down-to-earth people anyway.  Maybe it was that this group was even smaller than previous trips; it was only a 36-passenger ship compared to about twice that on the others.

I loved the livery on this plane, which an aviation-nut friend told me was an updated version of a Dash-8 with apiston (not jet) engine.  He also said that the scimitar-shaped blades were a recent innovation.  In less than an hour we were back at Honolulu Airport.  I could have saved myself time and money by connecting right away to my flight home but had another night in Honolulu.

No comments:

Post a Comment