Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Wednesday, November 13- From Kansas City to Honolulu


My trip actually started the night before; since my flight to Dallas departed at 6 AM I chose to stay near the airport the night before, purchasing a park/fly deal so I could leave the car at the hotel.  I was very glad I’d followed my usual practice for mission-critical wakeup calls and had a backup; the hotel call came at 3:45 AM as requested.  My phone, it turned out, was set to go off at 3:45 PM.  Oops.

It was a cold trip in the hotel shuttle but we arrived at the airport in plenty of time; despite the boilerplate advising us to be at the airport 2 hours early (4:05 AM?  I don’t think so!) I checked my bag, cleared the TSA Nude-o-Scope and was airside at before Starbucks even opened. 

I breathed a sigh of relief as the flight to DFW took off on time.  It’s never a given this time of year but fortunately there was no snow to interfere with air traffic- just biting cold. 

The airport in Dallas wasn’t much warmer.  It was 25 degree outside and I swear they didn’t have the heat turned on in the airport.  I was very grateful I hadn’t stashed my ancient fleece-lined shirt-jacket in my checked bag.
 
Finally after I’d amused myself by surfing the Internet for a couple of hours (avoiding shops at DFW selling perfume, expensive whisky, Montblanc pens, perfume, makeup and everything else imaginable), we got onto the plane.

Ah, the plane.  I’d forgotten what I’d paid for Business Class but it was a great decision. I sipped pre-flight Champagne, checked out the noise-cancelling headsets, power ports, the lunch menu and the seat controls, and giggled.

The flight was pleasant but long- a little over 8 hours.  I was grateful for all the space I had and took a couple of naps in between movies. I later switched to an episode of “Expedition Unknown” in which the archaeologists were searching for signs of an ancient city under Lake Titicaca in Bolivia.  I’ll be going to Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador and the Galapagos in March.  I lead an interesting life. 

Because the flight was so long, I felt as if I’d need to fill out a landing card and get out my passport for the immigration officials.  No, but they did pass out an Agriculture declaration.  Hawaii is very protective of its wildlife and is also rabies-free.  Apparently you have to go through a lot to be permitted to bring a dog on this flight!  One side of the Agriculture form was a detailed question about what plants, animals, etc. you might be bringing in.  The other side was pure marketing: is this your first trip to Hawaii, how many previous trips, what islands will you be visiting, business or pleasure… I filled it out anyway.  

It was nearly 2 hours from landing to my hotel:  half an hour wait for my checked bag (so much for “Priority Handling”); half an hour wait for the shuttle and 45 minutes through traffic worthy of Manhattan to the hotel.  I had a light dinner in the hotel bar, then slept for 8.5 hours, waking up at 4:30 AM.  Oh, well- Hawaii was 4 hours earlier than Central Time so that wasn’t too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment