Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Thursday, November 14- Honolulu to Kona


It’s amazing what a shower, a good night’s sleep, some coffee and some exercise will do for your outlook.  The area where I was staying was definitely built-up and congested but the vegetation was beautiful.  A few anthurium and hibiscus were blooming and I saw birds I didn’t recognize.  With no agenda, I headed down Kalakua Avenue, a main shopping street.  I didn’t get all the way to the beach but it was a nice walk.  The array of designer shops was dizzying- Rolex, Cartier, Bottega Veneta, Oliver Peeples, Jimmy Choo.. and on and on.  I’m guessing it was for Asian tourists, who are known for their extensive shopping trips abroad.  

I returned to the hotel, finished packing, checked out and had a nice lunch before the shuttle to the airport arrived.  I’d checked in on-line the night before and paid the checked-bag fee ($25- I was grateful I was checking only one) but the check-in kiosk, after finding my record and displaying “Please wait”… for way too long, I had to get in the “Expedited Baggage line.  Fortunately that line and the TSA line weren’t too bad and we were soon headed to Kona.


Lava fields on the approach.

Lots of manual effort here; the stairway had to be pushed into place by two workers. Here, one is cranking it up to the right level. 

Kona appeared less-developed although the Uber driver did point out Costco and Wal-Mart on the way in from the airport.  I had a nice dinner at a Thai restaurant near my hotel and was up early the next morning for a day tour of the island. 

No comments:

Post a Comment