Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Wednesday, November 20


This morning’s snorkel excursion was to an area off Lahaina known to be a favorite spot for sea turtles.  We’d been cautioned beforehand that they were a protected species and touching or otherwise disturbing them was prohibited- not only could offenders be subject to arrest, but the cruise line could lose its permit to take people there.  Thus forewarned, we donned our equipment and jumped in.





We were not disappointed.  Almost immediately we saw them on the sea floor, but soon a few swam into view.  In between sea turtles, I slowed down and enjoyed the fish, getting in more practice with my camera.  I noticed that the proportion of species was different here- fewer yellow tangs, for example.  

Hawaiian Sergeant Major

The guide explained that as a function of the demand for yellow tang among aquarium enthusiasts- this was an easily-accessible place to catch them.  There were also fewer parrot fish and that may have been for the same reason.  I saw one juvenile turtle swimming with an adult and saw a gathering of 5 on the sea floor but the pictures weren’t worth posting.  Sometimes you just have to enjoy what’s in front of you. I stayed in the water the whole time, nearly an hour, and warmed up easily once I got back on board the skiff. 

They brought out paddleboards when we got back.  I had tried stand-up paddleboarding in Alaska 7 years ago, which was a lot more perilous.  (Ron had reminded me how little time I’d have before dying of exposure if I fell in.)  I did manage to stay up, but not very long, and enjoyed most of the trip paddling while seated.


After lunch we anchored off Lahaina and took skiffs into town.  It was loaded with shops, of course, but I enjoyed walking around.  One bar, Fleetwood’s is owned by Mick Fleetwood and occasionally he shows up to play a few tunes.  I collected my free treat from the Banyan Tree shop ( a generous scoop of guava sherbet) with the coupon we got on the ship after completing the two things I’d wanted to do in town:  mail my Dad’s birthday card (it took 5 days to the mainland and arrived on his birthday!) and find a gold sea turtle charm for my charm bracelet.

At dinner we had a presentation by Ed Lyman, who rescues whales that become entangled in nets and other debris.  He even brought his tools to show us!  This is one of the reasons I love UnCruise- we learn so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment